Hi Everyone. Well, after 15 years the RV-Dreams Community Forum is coming to an end. Since it began in August 2005, we've had 58 Million page views, 124,000 posts, and we've spent about $15,000 to keep this valuable resource for RVers free and open. But since we are now off the road and have settled down for the next chapter of our lives, we are taking the Forum down effective June 30, 2021. It has been a tough decision, but it is now time.


We want to thank all of our members for their participation and input over the years, and we want to especially thank those that have acted as Moderators for us during our amazing journey living and traveling in our RV and growing the RV-Dreams Family. We will be forever proud to have been founders of this Forum and to have been supported by such a wonderful community. Thank you all!!

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Question about cookware


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:
Question about cookware


I did do a search, "cookware" but found nothing, so I posted this thread.  I wonder, is there a way to search by subject title only, rather than by post?  I have not seen this feature on this forum search.  Most forums have this function in the advanced search, but when I choose "advanced search," I still see the same options as the non-advanced search.

OK....this is interesting....I made the search on my laptop and that is what I got....no results.  I tried the same search on my desktop just now, and I got a whole list of cookware threads!  My apologies!  Something is wrong with my laptop, it looks like!  That is the one that has been writing in the tiny font....it looks large on the laptop!



-- Edited by two 4 the road on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 08:00:26 PM

__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

I have really nice cookware, that are all stainless steel and heavy gauge.  Most of the bottoms are larger than the small burners on the fifth wheel stoves.  I don't know how these will work out in the camper....do I just get rid of them all and buy really small cookware that will fit on the burners?  

Has anyone cooked with large pots or pans on these stoves??



__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5395
Date:

Don't forget my previous comment in another thread to watch the weight of your belongings.  Every little thing adds up, especially if one is of a mind to keep as much stuff as one wants.  My original comment on cargo carrying weight about most larger fifth wheels having a CCC of 3000 pounds or less will include all your clothes, food stored in the trailer, additional appliances, personal items like laptops, cameras, etc, and who knows what else one feels that they have to have.

When we were looking at things to sell, I went through the garage looking at all the stuff I had.  With each item, if I hadn't used it within the last year or couldn't see how it would be essential for RV'ing, the it was sold.  Folks still say that they look at things even after being on the road and determine whether they still need what they did keep.

Terry



__________________

Terry and Jo

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3
2008 Ford F450
2019 Ford Expedition Max as Tag-along or Scout

Our photos on Smugmug



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

I am wondering what people are using for pots and pans....lightweight or heavy? I read something online where they suggested heavy ones for RVing, so I was wondering, since I had taken it for granted that I would need to buy all new lightweight cookware.

What are people using in terms of cookware?

__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5395
Date:

If you got up to the blue bar at the top of the forum pages, there is a "Search" feature.  If you type in "cookware" in that search function, you will get a number of threads dealing with this topic.  You will likely find both pros and cons with a number of types of cookware.

Terry



__________________

Terry and Jo

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3
2008 Ford F450
2019 Ford Expedition Max as Tag-along or Scout

Our photos on Smugmug



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 679
Date:

When we lived in smaller travel trailers when space and weight was a huge concern, we used a high quality nesting backpacking set. It was great.

Now that we're in a bus conversion - we use an induction cooktop, which requires magnetic pieces. Space and weight aren't as much of a concern anymore for us, so I buy higher quality cookware. It's not super heavy tho, but definitely not the thin materials of the backpacking sets we used to rely on.

- Cherie

__________________

Cherie (and Chris) / Our blog: Technomadia.com

Full time since 2006 as Gen-X 'technomads' (technology enabled nomads)

RV Mobile Internet Resource Center (unbiased information by RVers for RVers)

zephyr_pixel.jpgRV: 1961 GM 4106 Bus

Toad: 2009 MINI Cooper



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 334
Date:

two 4 the road wrote:

 

OK....this is interesting....I made the search on my laptop and that is what I got....no results.  I tried the same search on my desktop just now, and I got a whole list of cookware threads!  My apologies!  Something is wrong with my laptop, it looks like!  That is the one that has been writing in the tiny font....it looks large on the laptop!



-- Edited by two 4 the road on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 08:00:26 PM


 You can save weight by dumping the laptop and take your good pots and pans!! smile



__________________

Bill and Jodee Gravel Full-timers (June, 2015)

Tessa the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 34ST

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

http://www.ontheroadabode.blogspot.com

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

Bill and Jodee wrote:
two 4 the road wrote:

 

OK....this is interesting....I made the search on my laptop and that is what I got....no results.  I tried the same search on my desktop just now, and I got a whole list of cookware threads!  My apologies!  Something is wrong with my laptop, it looks like!  That is the one that has been writing in the tiny font....it looks large on the laptop!



-- Edited by two 4 the road on Wednesday 23rd of October 2013 08:00:26 PM


 You can save weight by dumping the laptop and take your good pots and pans!! smile


 LOL!!!  I probably should dump my laptop, but would want a new one!  : D



__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 503
Date:

I took the pots & pans that I used at home.  I had lots of cookware, so I had to pare it down to what I used most often.



__________________

Cindy T

08 Mobile Suites 38RLSB3



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1395
Date:

I don't cook to many home cooked meals until the cooler weather settles in! Now; Tn. has got cool! I use Heavy duty aluminum; one qt. pot; one 10 inch skillet; one 4 inch fry pan; and a 2 qt. crock pot.

__________________

Life is too short. Live it Now!

Currently at Shady Acres RV Park   Lebanon; Tennessee

http://1Irishrover.blogspot.com

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1627
Date:

We purchased a nesting set highly recommended by friends before we went full-time and, because we had the space, I took some of my favorite pots and pans and gave the rest to friends. Because we also purchased the Burton induction cooktop I find I'm using our favorite very good cookware and haven't used the nesting set at all. I think it depends on your cooking preferences and space.

Sherry

__________________

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way. - Carl Segan

Our "Rolling Rest Home" 2013 Trilogy 3650RL dragged by a 2005 GMC Sierra 4x4 Diesel Dually -SOLD

2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 on the way.

Kids: Paris (AKA Kitty)  & Sadie



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

I am wondering about the large pan bottoms on the small burners. How has that worked out? Or does it?

__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 128
Date:

I use all cast iron-but only have 4 skillets and 1 dutch oven. I justified the extra weight by realizing they serve multipurpose. I can fry, bake, use in the campfire and even make toast in the few sizes of CI I have. They all stack (except the DO) in the small oven, so I don't need any additional storage space for them. They are all seasoned well so are non-stick. I picked a few of them up at antique stores for <$5. And, if we decide to purchase an induction cooktop for outside summer cooking, they will work on that too. For me, it's all about multi-purpose!

__________________

Terry & Candace  RVingFT@Gmail.com

1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay DP

Working FT as mobile hearing technicians

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3719
Date:

two 4 the road wrote:

I am wondering about the large pan bottoms on the small burners. How has that worked out? Or does it?


 Our Amana cooktop has one large burner in front and two smaller ones in back.  But we do use large pans on the smaller back burners when we need the front one for something else.  We have not had a problem.



__________________

Bill Joyce,
40' 2004 Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid
Journal at http://www.sacnoth.com
Full-timing since July 2003



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

rvingft wrote:

I use all cast iron-but only have 4 skillets and 1 dutch oven. I justified the extra weight by realizing they serve multipurpose. I can fry, bake, use in the campfire and even make toast in the few sizes of CI I have. They all stack (except the DO) in the small oven, so I don't need any additional storage space for them. They are all seasoned well so are non-stick. I picked a few of them up at antique stores for <$5. And, if we decide to purchase an induction cooktop for outside summer cooking, they will work on that too. For me, it's all about multi-purpose!


 Outside cooking with an induction cooktop...not that's a new one!



__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

bjoyce wrote:
two 4 the road wrote:

I am wondering about the large pan bottoms on the small burners. How has that worked out? Or does it?


 Our Amana cooktop has one large burner in front and two smaller ones in back.  But we do use large pans on the smaller back burners when we need the front one for something else.  We have not had a problem.


 Is your Amana an electric cooktop?



__________________


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3719
Date:

two 4 the road wrote:
bjoyce wrote:
two 4 the road wrote:

I am wondering about the large pan bottoms on the small burners. How has that worked out? Or does it?


 Our Amana cooktop has one large burner in front and two smaller ones in back.  But we do use large pans on the smaller back burners when we need the front one for something else.  We have not had a problem.


 Is your Amana an electric cooktop?


 Three gas burners.  It is an RV product but it is not made anymore.  Google found me this photo of one that looks like ours:

Amana RV cooktop



__________________

Bill Joyce,
40' 2004 Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid
Journal at http://www.sacnoth.com
Full-timing since July 2003



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance. I had no idea that Amana made gas burners.

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us