2017 RV-Dreams Fall Educational Rally - September 25 - October 1, 2017 in Sevierville, Tennessee.
As of May 22, We Have Room For 24 More People Click Here For Details

2018 RV-Dreams Spring Educational Rally - April 23 -30, 2018 in Pahrump, Nevada
Mark The Dates!! Registration To Open June 1!! Click Here To Get Email Notification

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Coleman Mach digital thermostat - Awesome!!


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 550
Date:
Coleman Mach digital thermostat - Awesome!!


I bought a 2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF ... It came with two AC units.  One in the bedroom and the the other in the main living area.  The bedroom unit is on it's own thermostat and the main unit has a thermostat that controls the AC unit and the LP heating furnace.  That main thermostat was an analog (slider) type control.  The temperature control was poor, IMHO and in my wife's as well.  The temperature range from on to off was too wide to maintain a comfortable living temp.  So I found a Coleman Mach digital thermostat online.  It looked very similar to the analog one (same color, size, etc.).  Installed it today ... wires coming out of the original analog thermostat and the wires coming out of the new digital thermostat (both were Coleman Mach units) were EXACTLY alike (amazing!!).  Changed the thermostat in about 30 mins. start to finish. Testing took longer than the install.  This new thermostat controls the both the cooling and heating function to a + or - 1 degree range.  Awesome!  These should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT, there is a night and day difference in the accuracy of the temperature control of the main living area.  I would HIGHLY recommend this upgrade to anyone with a slider type thermostat.



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:16 AM



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:55 AM

__________________

Ron and Janice

 

2016 Ford F350, King Ranch, DRW, 3.73's, 4x4, CC, 6.7 Powerstroke, remote control air lift system

2017 K-Z Durango Gold 381REF (41 ft, 5 slides) 25,940 lbs CGVW

Full Timers class of 2016



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1796
Date:

RonC wrote:

I bought a 2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF ... It came with two AC units.  One in the bedroom and the the other in the main living area.  The bedroom unit is on it's own thermostat and the main unit has a thermostat that controls the AC unit and the LP heating furnace.  That main thermostat was an analog (slider) type control.  The temperature control was poor, IMHO and in my wife's as well.  The temperature range from on to off was too wide to maintain a comfortable living temp.  So I found a Coleman Mach digital thermostat online.  It looked very similar to the analog one (same color, size, etc.).  Installed it today ... wires coming out of the original analog thermostat and the wires coming out of the new digital thermostat (both were Coleman Mach units) were EXACTLY alike (amazing!!).  Changed the thermostat in about 30 mins. start to finish. Testing took longer than the install.  This new thermostat controls the both the cooling and heating function to a + or - 1 degree range.  Awesome!  These should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT, there is a night and day difference in the accuracy of the temperature control of the main living area.  I would HIGHLY recommend this upgrade to anyone with a slider type thermostat.



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:16 AM



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:55 AM


Yep, standard fix for the poor "slider" thermostat product. Have no idea the price of the Coleman digital unit but I bought a Hunter digital thermostat at Wal-Mart for $39 and put it in our previous trailer some 10 years ago.  The change really is worth the trouble.  Highly recommended upgrade.   



__________________

Bill & Linda
2014 New Horizons Majestic F37RLTSS 96

2016 RAM 5500HD \ 4-Wheel Drive \ Link Air Ride
Classy Chassis RV Hauler Bed Conversion \ Aux Fuel Tank 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 80
Date:

Did the same in the Arctic Fox. Happy life with digital.

__________________

2016 F-450 Lariat

2016 Arctic Fox Silver Edition 32-5M



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 550
Date:

Bill and Linda wrote:
RonC wrote:

I bought a 2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF ... It came with two AC units.  One in the bedroom and the the other in the main living area.  The bedroom unit is on it's own thermostat and the main unit has a thermostat that controls the AC unit and the LP heating furnace.  That main thermostat (actually both of them) was an analog (slider) type control.  The temperature control was poor, IMHO and in my wife's as well.  The temperature range from on to off was too wide to maintain a comfortable living temp.  So I found a Coleman Mach digital thermostat online.  It looked very similar to the analog one (same color, size, etc.).  Installed it today ... wires coming out of the original analog thermostat and the wires coming out of the new digital thermostat (both were Coleman Mach units) were EXACTLY alike (amazing!!).  Changed the thermostat in about 30 mins. start to finish. Testing took longer than the install.  This new thermostat controls the both the cooling and heating function to a + or - 1 degree range.  Awesome!  These should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT, there is a night and day difference in the accuracy of the temperature control of the main living area.  I would HIGHLY recommend this upgrade to anyone with a slider type thermostat.



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:16 AM



-- Edited by RonC on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 08:09:55 AM


Yep, standard fix for the poor "slider" thermostat product. Have no idea the price of the Coleman digital unit but I bought a Hunter digital thermostat at Wal-Mart for $39 and put it in our previous trailer some 10 years ago.  The change really is worth the trouble.  Highly recommended upgrade.   


 



__________________

Ron and Janice

 

2016 Ford F350, King Ranch, DRW, 3.73's, 4x4, CC, 6.7 Powerstroke, remote control air lift system

2017 K-Z Durango Gold 381REF (41 ft, 5 slides) 25,940 lbs CGVW

Full Timers class of 2016



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 73
Date:

I made a fantastic buy today, a Dometic Digital thermostat replacing one of my analog Dometic thermostat, it was on special at ± $26 !

Can you beat that ?

No waste of time and energy installing an additional switch for the fan speed or whatever like many others do, buying an el cheapo HUNTER thermostat at Wall Mart !

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometic-3313192000-Polar-White-Single-Zone-LCD-Thermostat-Camper-Trailer-RV



-- Edited by legrandnormand on Thursday 15th of September 2016 09:46:11 PM



-- Edited by legrandnormand on Thursday 15th of September 2016 09:54:15 PM



-- Edited by legrandnormand on Thursday 15th of September 2016 09:55:31 PM



-- Edited by legrandnormand on Thursday 15th of September 2016 09:55:55 PM

__________________

Normand

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada

2010 Gulfstream class A, model 8367

2009 Smart Cabriolet



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1796
Date:

legrandnormand wrote:

I made a fantastic buy today, a Dometic Digital thermostat replacing one of my analog Dometic thermostat, it was on special at ± $26 !

Can you beat that ?

No waste of time and energy installing an additional switch for the fan speed or whatever like many others do, buying an el cheapo HUNTER thermostat at Wall Mart !

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometic-3313192000-Polar-White-Single-Zone-LCD-Thermostat-Camper-Trailer-RV

 


Well, 10 years ago there were no $26 Coleman digital thermostats so we used what was available.  But the 'el cheapo is still working just fine.  Much better than they factory provided.  But good for you. 



__________________

Bill & Linda
2014 New Horizons Majestic F37RLTSS 96

2016 RAM 5500HD \ 4-Wheel Drive \ Link Air Ride
Classy Chassis RV Hauler Bed Conversion \ Aux Fuel Tank 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 550
Date:

The Coleman Mach digital thermostat cost about twice what you paid for your Hunter.  It looks exactly like the slider it replaced, so very OEM looking.  I liked it so much I just bought the "AC only" version for the bedroom unit.  It also looks identical to the slider it will be replacing.



__________________

Ron and Janice

 

2016 Ford F350, King Ranch, DRW, 3.73's, 4x4, CC, 6.7 Powerstroke, remote control air lift system

2017 K-Z Durango Gold 381REF (41 ft, 5 slides) 25,940 lbs CGVW

Full Timers class of 2016



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1796
Date:

RonC wrote:

The Coleman Mach digital thermostat cost about twice what you paid for your Hunter.  It looks exactly like the slider it replaced, so very OEM looking.  I liked it so much I just bought the "AC only" version for the bedroom unit.  It also looks identical to the slider it will be replacing.


Ron, yea, back 10 years ago when I needed to replace the "slider" thermostat in the Escalade the Coleman digital unit was in the hundred's of dollars.  Like $139 or some such ridiculous amount.  Can't recall exactly.  So the trouble of putting in a switch for the fan speed was then worth it to me to save $100.  But times change and today there are other options.

BTW, Ron, if you ever need, or want, factory service on the KZ I can really recommend the guys in Shipshewana.  KZ had the most incredible factory service guys. Never took our Escalade anywhere but there for rig service - except MOR/ryde naturally right up the road from KZ. You went in on-time and got out on-time.  No waiting around for "days."  Don't know if still the same under Thor but hope so.  I've still got some contact info should you need it.    



__________________

Bill & Linda
2014 New Horizons Majestic F37RLTSS 96

2016 RAM 5500HD \ 4-Wheel Drive \ Link Air Ride
Classy Chassis RV Hauler Bed Conversion \ Aux Fuel Tank 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 550
Date:

Thanks ... when that day comes, I'll give you a shout. Knock on wood, so far (6 months) this rig has been perfect. But you know it's never if, but when.



-- Edited by RonC on Saturday 17th of September 2016 06:06:56 PM

__________________

Ron and Janice

 

2016 Ford F350, King Ranch, DRW, 3.73's, 4x4, CC, 6.7 Powerstroke, remote control air lift system

2017 K-Z Durango Gold 381REF (41 ft, 5 slides) 25,940 lbs CGVW

Full Timers class of 2016

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us