2017 RV-Dreams Spring Educational Rally - May 8 - 14, 2017 in Sevierville, Tennessee.
SOLD OUT as of 12/31/2016! Click Here For More Details & A Link To Our Waiting List Page

2017 RV-Dreams Fall Educational Rally - September 25 - October 1, 2017 in Sevierville, Tennessee.
Registration Is Now Open!! Click Here For Details

2018 RV-Dreams Spring Educational Rally - April 23 -30, 2018 in Pahrump, Nevada
Mark The Dates!! Registration To Open June 1!! Click Here To Get Email Notification

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Cooking Classes for Local Cuisines


RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 222
Date:
Cooking Classes for Local Cuisines


Has anyone taken cooking classes as you visited different areas of the country? I have a disability that hinders me from doing a lot of outdoor activities so I thought this would be a great way to experience local culture. If you have done this how do you find the classes?



__________________

Patti and Ed

and their feathered kids in the Lipson Chicken Coop

a 2008 Powerhouse CoacH

No longer dreaming...... ūüėé



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 115
Date:

Just a suggestion, but I would look at trade schools and/or community college in the area in which you wish to learn about the local cuisine. I know in the area of the country that I live in (New England) that these are the places where you could pick up a cooking class or two. Good luck and enjoy.



__________________

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

 

W.C. Fields



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 240
Date:

I don't know how common this type of experience is, but here's one we recently had...

My wife is an excellent cook and has lived in Latin America and Spain most of her life (parents were missionaries). Her grandparents were Italian, so she grew up with Italian and South and Central American food and lived the Mediterranean life during her 10 years in Spain. She had not, however, been exposed to Southwestern cooking (specifically the Rio Grande Valley in New Mexico - my "home turf") until we married in 2008. 

This past winter we spent from just before Thanksgiving to early January in Las Cruces, NM, to be with my family for the holidays. While checking the local paper for interesting things to do, she found that classes on making tamales (New Mexico style - not Central American like she was used to) were being offered at a small state park in La Mesilla, NM (right next to Las Cruces). She drove over to the park for the afternoon and came back so excited, we had to go to our favorite local tortillaria to buy supplies that evening. The next day, she made two dozen tamales in the RV! We taught her brothers how to make them when we visited in California in January and enjoy making and eating them whenever we can.

In southern Louisiana, what we learned about Louisiana and Cajun cooking came from other RVers in the "cultural experience" park where we were staying. The park was owned and operated by a local lady and many of her customers have been returning - mostly for the winter - year after year. Groups of them would head out at 8:00 in the morning to buy shrimp fresh off the boats at the dock. They would then set up under the arbor in front of the office and peel shrimp as a group. Betty, the owner, was a font of information on recipes, preparation, and "tricks-of-the-trade."

So - whenever you're in a particular locale, in addition to the good suggestion already made, check local sources of information and see what you can find. 

Rob



__________________

2012 F350 DRW Lariat 6.7

PullRite OEM 18K, Demco Glide Ride pinbox

2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

MOR/ryde IS, disc brakes, LR G tires

Full-time as of 8/2015

 

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 481
Date:

You might also check at community rec centers, or adult education centers.  We have an adult education center that teaches classes on a really vast array of subjects.  There are also businesses where you can go in & prepare a meal to take home using their recipes & ingredients.  I've heard of Super Suppers, Simply Supper, Dream Dinners, etc.

 



__________________

Cindy T

08 Mobile Suites 38RLSB3



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 549
Date:

What a great idea! I've never heard of it - but LOVE it! Will be looking for it in the future!

__________________

Bill & Kelly - with Callie along the ride.  Raskal & Cocoa now watching from above

2011 Ford F350 Diesel Dually 4x4 

2014 Heartland Landmark, Grand Canyon 

"All those who wander are not lost" Tolkien

 BLOG:  http://bkamericanodyssey.com/



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 222
Date:

Second Chance wrote:

I don't know how common this type of experience is, but here's one we recently had...

My wife is an excellent cook and has lived in Latin America and Spain most of her life (parents were missionaries). Her grandparents were Italian, so she grew up with Italian and South and Central American food and lived the Mediterranean life during her 10 years in Spain. She had not, however, been exposed to Southwestern cooking (specifically the Rio Grande Valley in New Mexico - my "home turf") until we married in 2008. 

This past winter we spent from just before Thanksgiving to early January in Las Cruces, NM, to be with my family for the holidays. While checking the local paper for interesting things to do, she found that classes on making tamales (New Mexico style - not Central American like she was used to) were being offered at a small state park in La Mesilla, NM (right next to Las Cruces). She drove over to the park for the afternoon and came back so excited, we had to go to our favorite local tortillaria to buy supplies that evening. The next day, she made two dozen tamales in the RV! We taught her brothers how to make them when we visited in California in January and enjoy making and eating them whenever we can.

In southern Louisiana, what we learned about Louisiana and Cajun cooking came from other RVers in the "cultural experience" park where we were staying. The park was owned and operated by a local lady and many of her customers have been returning - mostly for the winter - year after year. Groups of them would head out at 8:00 in the morning to buy shrimp fresh off the boats at the dock. They would then set up under the arbor in front of the office and peel shrimp as a group. Betty, the owner, was a font of information on recipes, preparation, and "tricks-of-the-trade."

So - whenever you're in a particular locale, in addition to the good suggestion already made, check local sources of information and see what you can find. 

Rob


 Rob where did you stay in Louisiana?  We are looking for a winter place and was considering that area.  



__________________

Patti and Ed

and their feathered kids in the Lipson Chicken Coop

a 2008 Powerhouse CoacH

No longer dreaming...... ūüėé



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 240
Date:

Talensnana wrote:
 

 Rob where did you stay in Louisiana?  We are looking for a winter place and was considering that area.  


We stayed a couple of weeks at Alligator lake on FT Polk (South) and then at Betty's RV Park in Abbeville, LA. The sites are small and tight at Betty's, but the atmosphere is very friendly.

Rob



__________________

2012 F350 DRW Lariat 6.7

PullRite OEM 18K, Demco Glide Ride pinbox

2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

MOR/ryde IS, disc brakes, LR G tires

Full-time as of 8/2015

 

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 549
Date:

If you are staying in Abbeville, I've heard Palmetto Island SP is very nice

__________________

Bill & Kelly - with Callie along the ride.  Raskal & Cocoa now watching from above

2011 Ford F350 Diesel Dually 4x4 

2014 Heartland Landmark, Grand Canyon 

"All those who wander are not lost" Tolkien

 BLOG:  http://bkamericanodyssey.com/



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 240
Date:

jrzygrl64 wrote:

If you are staying in Abbeville, I've heard Palmetto Island SP is very nice


It is very nice - but they don't have sewer hookups. We took the bikes out there one day and rode the whole park. 

Rob



__________________

2012 F350 DRW Lariat 6.7

PullRite OEM 18K, Demco Glide Ride pinbox

2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

MOR/ryde IS, disc brakes, LR G tires

Full-time as of 8/2015

 

 



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 48
Date:

Hello Patti and Ed
We are from Lafayette Louisiana. We have stayed at Palmetto Island quite a bit. They have a monthly Dutch oven cooking session that is real tasty.
Also there is a grocery store chain in south called Rousses. Most of their stores have a kitchen where they do weekly cooking demonstrations using ingredients selected from store on that day. They put on a pretty good show with a Cajun flare.

__________________

Mike & Karen

Youngsville Louisiana

2013 Entegra Anthem

2015 Silverado Crew Cab



RV-Dreams Family Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 222
Date:

Second Chance wrote:
Talensnana wrote:
 

 Rob where did you stay in Louisiana?  We are looking for a winter place and was considering that area.  


We stayed a couple of weeks at Alligator lake on FT Polk (South) and then at Betty's RV Park in Abbeville, LA. The sites are small and tight at Betty's, but the atmosphere is very friendly.

Rob


 Unfortunately we can not do small and tight.   I will definitely check out other parts in the area.



__________________

Patti and Ed

and their feathered kids in the Lipson Chicken Coop

a 2008 Powerhouse CoacH

No longer dreaming...... ūüėé

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us